Farscape - Season 4 - Episode 02
Farscape - 4x02 - What Was Lost Part I: Sacrifice - Originally Aired: 2002-6-14
Crichton, Chiana and Rygel are reunited with D'Argo and Jool at an archaeological site run by Jool's people, the Interions. The purpose of the dig is to find a missing probe that might reverse the planet's dangerous atmospheric conditions. Peacekeepers led by Grayza land and capture the crew, and Crichton finds himself unable to fight back, mysteriously compelled to do Grayza's bidding. [DVD]
0, not filler, do not skip this episode.
- Numerous major long term plot threads are serviced here.
- The recap of this episode features a scene which was never aired in which Braca threatens to execute Grayza were he ordered to by one of her superiors, an act of loyalty to the Peacekeepers for which she promotes him to captain.
- D'Argo named his ship Lo'La, after his murdered wife Lo'Laan.
- "Grandma" is 293 cycles old.
- There's another deleted scene of unusual importance in this episode. Shortly after D'Argo reveals his ship's cloaking ability to Chiana, the scene continues. Chiana asks why D'Argo stopped hunting Macton. He says that he no longer has any desire to kill him, believing that it would bring him no happiness. He instead sent him a message threatening to do so to terrorize him, believing that making Macton live in fear would be more satisfying.
- Alien to John: "Peacekeeper, drop your weapon." John: "That's a common mistake. I'm not a Peacekeeper."
- John stumbling on D'Argo, Jool, and the old woman.
- Grayza torturing Scorpius.
- Grayza manipulating Braca with some kind of pheromones.
- The old woman drugging Crichton again.
- D'Argo confronting Jool and asking her what she thinks of Luxans. Jool's reluctant response: "I think that you're unusual for a Luxan."
- Grayza capturing John and Chiana and dragging out a collared Scorpius walking on his hands and knees to amuse John.
- Grayza: "Do anything you want to him. Do anything at all." John: "No thanks. I don't think I can come up with anything better than that."
- Grayza using her pheromones on John.
- The old woman drugging John and making him leap to his presumed death.
This rather strange episode ranges from incoherent, to fascinating, to profound at various times. The notion of yet another super weapon of mass destruction that must be kept out of the hands of the bad guys is obnoxious, but the plot finally beginning to seriously explore the idea that the most human-like races in the Farscape universe may have an actual genetic connection with humans is fascinating. Apparently the ancient Egyptians are somehow related to the Sebaceans and Interions.
Other nice details included Scorpius' clear fall from grace. The way Grayza controls him with those green corrupted cooling rods is a fantastic way to make this old nemesis seem more sympathetic. Grayza's preying on his weak spot. Couple that with Braca switching sides without hesitation and we've got the makings of a lovely predicament for Scorpy. Another minor detail I liked was that in John's visions the priests were singing the Farscape theme.
Finally, the old woman's character, while sometimes annoying, is rapidly starting to captivate me. She'd be more compelling if her actions didn't always seem so random, but for the most part she seems to work quite well as an unstable but probably good natured ally. I'm also continuing to enjoy Moya's lack of a presence. Even though we now know roughly where she is, it's still nice that it's taking a while for the crew to reassemble. Overall while the episode could have used a more solid narrative, it still comes off as a fairly strong piece.
The following are comments submitted by my readers.
- From Hugo on 2016-05-24 at 5:04pm:
Yet another episode which I found had poor editing/direction - some things are really confusing.
* So how did they get out of that cell towards the end?
* The colorful creature/alien was never really introduced properly, and I find it odd that e.g. Chrichton is wondering more what that is...
* I didn't get how Chrichton was suddenly swimming with that creature...