Welcome to my Secret of Mana page. This was my first ever RPG and holds a special place in my heart. I definitely had good tastes in firsts because this is one of the most truly remarkable Squaresoft RPGs ever made.
Browse my SoM screenshots or download my save files.
The save files include:
Secret Of Mana.srm - Save file in Potos village Inn containing all level 9 weapons, all level 99 chars, 8 million gp, all the best armor, maxed out all items, maxed out 8:99 magic on both casters, maxed out level 8 weapon skills on all chars.
Secret Of Mana.zst - ZSNES savestate using my (above) savegame positioned just before the final battle.
- OST - The original soundtrack has been dumped into SPC files, which you can legally download here among other places.
- Orchestral Game Concert 3 - A full orchestra CD with songs from various video games. Track 10 is an orchestral performance of SoM's opening theme. (More Info)
Now let me clear up some rumors about this game:
- Neither weapon skills nor magic can reach levels past 8:99.
- Magic levels past 8 approaching 8:99 begin to cast "level 9" spells at random. These level 9 spells always stop everything around you from moving and have some interesting special effects. No, this is not a glitch. Yes, level 9 spells occur randomly, albeit more frequently as magic levels approach 8:99.
- Yes, all weapons can be upgraded to level 9 orb status. INCLUDING THE SWORD. Instructions on how to get each hard to find orb below:
- Javelin: Random treasure chests left by Whimpers in the Mana Fortress.
- Bow: Random treasure chests left by Metal Crabs in the Mana Fortress.
- Glove: Both orbs you need to get it to level 9 are random treasures left by Wolf Lords in the Mana Fortress.
- Boomerang: Random treasure chests left by Master Ninjas in the Mana Fortress.
- Whip: Random treasure chests left by Terminators in the Mana Fortress.
- Axe: Both orbs you need to get it to level 9 are random treasures left by Fiend Heads in the Mana Fortress.
- Spear: Random treasure chests left by Tsunamis in the Mana Fortress.
- Sword: See next bullet.
- Here's how you get the 9th sword orb: You must have the sword already upgraded to level 8. Take Flammie to the Ice Country. There's a small perfectly circular island off the coast. Land on it. You should land in front of Neko. If not, wrong island or try again. Once you've successfully landed in front of Neko, talk to him and save your game. Now reset the game by pressing and holding L, R, Select, and Start for a couple of seconds. It's important that you hold them for a couple seconds instead of immediately letting go. Now, start a new game from the beginning. Try not to kill any Rabites on the way there, as it may help increase the chances of this trick working. Play through normally until you fall through the hole into the cave with the Mantis Ant. After, not during, not before, but after everyone is done talking and the battle is starting, do not move, then hold L, R, Select, and Start for a few seconds and the game will again restart by itself. Again, it's important that you hold them for a few seconds instead of immediately letting go. Now load the game you saved at Neko. You should be in front of the Mantis Ant. Defeat it. You'll get a sword orb. Now you can forge it and get your new sword. Interestingly enough, the rest of the Mantas Ant events play out just as they did at the beginning of the game. The characters won't notice your two friends. Never do this more than one time. If you do, you risk crashing your game and losing your save data. YES this actually works, I have done it! See my screenshots or download and use my save file!
- No, the best armor in the game cannot be bought from Neko. You must defeat enemies to acquire the best armor, just as you do so to acquire the best weapons. Here's the list:
- Griffin Helm (Hero): Defeat Griffin Hands in the Pure Land. If you proceed all the way through the Pure Land and come across the Mana Tree without finding a Griffin Helm, you will never acquire one! It's important that you make it a point to bash the Griffin Hands repeatedly to acquire a Griffin Helm before proceeding with the rest of the story!
- Faerie Crown (Girl, Sprite): Defeat Terminators in the Mana Fortress.
- Power Suit (Hero): Defeat Whimpers in the Mana Fortress.
- Faerie Cloak (Girl, Sprite): Defeat Master Ninjas in the Mana Fortress.
- Faerie's Ring (Hero, Girl, Sprite): Defeat Wolf Lords in the Mana Fortress.
- Sorry, the rumor about a 9th Elemental "Solar" is 100% false. There is no hidden magic in SoM.
- A lot of people get the names of the characters confused. The hero is Randi, the girl is Purim, and the sprite is Popoie. The sprite is MALE! Not female! And no his hair is not pink! If you think his hair is pink, get your eyes examined! His hair is orange!
- Yes, you can reenter Potos village after you've been banished. There's no real reason to do so, but it's fun if you're bored (like me.) To do so, it's best if you have all 3 characters and Flammie. Simply walk up to the guard blocking the entrance and hold the "up" control as if you were trying to push him out of the way. While doing that, repeatedly switch characters. You will eventually phase through him.
Last, but not least, check out this phenomenal fan inspired Flash comic Secret of Mana Theater. It's one of the best web comics I've ever seen. It's more like an episodic animated cartoon than what's implied by the term "web comic." Truly amazing, check it out! Amazing website for any SoM fan.